Thursday, November 15, 2012

Thank you Emilee :)

So, my mind works in an all or nothing way.

My blog made me SO frustrated that I threw in the towel.

Then I came back and remember why I threw in the towel . . . photos!!! And a blog just isn't a blog without photos.

So, I decided to just start from scratch. Figure out some html code, how hard could it really be. They have tutorials for that kind of thing, all I'd have to do is follow the directions step by step.

That's where I was going with my blog until my wonderful sister politely said, "WHAT ARE YOU THINKING? YOU DON'T HAVE TIME FOR THAT! WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT TO YOURSELF?!?

Really she said, "Why would you create an entire blog from scratch? You make things so difficult for yourself! Start a different blog. Or use a different platform. There are many other options too..."

But I heard, "You are crazy!!!"

And that was a good thing, because I have no time for that. I have a thousand things I'd prefer doing besides deciphering html code. Crazy how my mind just jumps into fast forward!

A comparative for the way my mind works: if I walked into our Walmart to the Dunkin Donuts shop for a dozen donuts for the kids and for some reason they were out of donuts. I'd be that person that went to the book section to get a donut cookbook, go to the baking section and buy all the ingredients and then go to the kitchen section and buy the deep fryer. And then I get home, unload my van of bags and bags of supplies, get them into the house and then come to the realization that I could have driven 5 minutes to the next Dunkin Donuts . . .

I appreciate VERY MUCH that my sister asked "Why?" That's all I needed.

The only problem I had was the photos. So, wouldn't finding a different photo program make more sense? Yes, it does now that I've been brought back to reality.

Again, thank you!!!

So, KC went to a Bulls game on Monday night and I put the kids to bed and researched. I looked at other blogs to get ideas of what other people were possibly using. I ran into Flickr a few times, so I focused my attentions on that.

And it's completely free to use, unless I want to upload tons of photos in a month. There is a set amount I can upload monthly and then the following month I can upload more. So really, I just have to stay consistent and not go too photo crazy . . . which is probably a good thing.

It took me a while to get everything synced with my blog. I have to cut and paste the html code into my blog for each photo. At one point I was thinking, "this is crazy, having to deal with so much html code" . . . then I remember a day before I was thinking of doing the whole blog over in code and then the copying and pasting was such a relief  :)

Sometimes I just need to be reeled back in  :)

I know better, I just can't help myself . . . that's why I have people in my life that I can count on to set me straight and it is VERY MUCH APPRECIATED! Love you :)

Gives me time for what really matters  :)

P8253127

8 comments:

  1. This whole entry just made my head spin:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you back up your blog on a regular basis? I never had and now I'm wondering if I should go back to LJ and take a look at what I use to put out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't. I don't know? I think it's safe on blogger, but I guess something could go wrong? One thing at a time, I can't worry about that now :)

      Delete
  3. BTW, Mel, this is your cousin Nancy commenting. My LJ name has been Suri for more than 15 years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just upload my photos from a folder in my computer. I don't use Flicker or anything else. I don't use any HTML coding either... I just upload and insert the photo and chose the size.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked into that last time you commented. I don't have lots of space on my computer, and I have a WHOLE LOT of pictures. I have actually burnt discs of the majority of my digital photos and deleted them off my computer, so I don't have that option. My computer was becoming full, slow and useless . . . so I periodically burn discs and pull them off my hard drive :)

      Delete
  5. Ahhh! Gotcha. Watch for Black Friday sales though, you can probably get a HUGE external hard drive that you can "store" your images on, and then just plug it into your computer when you want to pull them off. Now that I'm about 2 years into photography I've had to do that and it's so much easier to find old photos that way too. Glad you're back to blogging. I have about 10 drafts I have to finish but I've been so busy I haven't had a chance to post them. It's going to be my New Years resolution to post a minimum of 2 times a week.

    ReplyDelete