Saturday, March 3, 2012

Orchids by Hausermann


The family went on a field trip today  : )


One of KC's co-workers told us that this place was having an open house, so we thought we'd check it out. We were told it was kid-friendly, which I wasn't sure with delicate, expensive orchid plants everywhere. I just pictured the twins plucking the petals off every reachable flower.


Audrey easily found her favorite. There were a few of these amongst white orchids, so they really stood out. We were told that they inject them with dye, it isn't natural. If you are lucky enough to keep it alive until the next year, they'd be white again.


I loved these green striped orchids. To bad we don't live in a tropical climate, I'd have them instead of bushes  : ) 


The girls were oooing and ahhhing at everything they saw. It was difficult to pick out a favorite, because each one was prettier than the last. 

And notice in the background, they had a train set up for the kids. Emmitt didn't want to leave. They also had freshly popped popcorn and fruit punch, as seen on the boy's stained red mustaches.


It was nice and warm! KC ran all our jackets out to the van, because walking down the narrow aisles and keeping ahold of a couple of 2 year olds, while carrying 5 jackets just wasn't working.

We wisely left the double wide stroller in the van, it would have never fit through. Thankfully the boys walked most of the time.

I felt like we were in the way quite a few times as it was, our own little parade (people stop to watch and everything), but the kids were all so good. I am very happy to share that no petals were harmed. I know, I'm amazed too!


I love pansies! They are one of my favorite flowers. The red orchid reminded me of my beloved pansies, I almost bought one.


They had the most beautiful flower displays. The boys loved the water features, especially the frog spitting water.


This tree is the reason I didn't buy the pansy-like orchid. I want this tree! It's a maple tree with the most beautiful orange flowers. Of course, they were already sold out. But my husband knows a girl, who knows a guy, so I'm still hoping that someday . . . . .


And I can't tell you just how huge this place is. Rows and rows of orchids. And this is a wholesale place, so some GREAT prices.

Definitely would recommend Hausermann's if you are looking for orchids, or other tropical plants. It's a family run business that has been around for a few generations. They have a website, if you are interested in checking them out. Here's the link: Hausermann's

They also had Venus fly traps, cactus and the ferns that close when the bottom of their leaves are touched. (I remember seeing them as a child, and my kids were as amazed by them as I remember I was)

All in all, a great day. Something different to break up these cold, stuck inside days.

1 comment:

  1. Is this in ADDISON, IL!? This is my hometown! I went to highschool with their daughter Amy and grew up just blocks from this greenhouse!

    Small, small world!

    ReplyDelete