Sunday, January 13, 2013

Welcome 2013

So, I got off to a rough start this year.

This was the last photo I took in 2012 :)

Consistent sickness in our house since Christmas. Nothing major, thankfully . . . just A LOT of coughing. And I think it all just wore me down until I didn't feel well. It's exhausting taking care of everyone and being 'trapped' in the house for weeks.

So, Friday was the first day without a cough and I'm hoping it stays that way for a bit.

Now I feel like I'm starting my 2013 a couple weeks late. I'm still packing away Christmas decorations, finding places to put all our new presents, and generally just trying to get the house cleaned up.

•   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •   •

I thought about my New Year's Resolution a lot.

I always make my resolution too hard to accomplish. I set myself up for failure. And I usually know it when I make it . . . why do I do that to myself?

So this year I made three small resolutions. Resolutions that I know I can accomplish. I am not setting myself up for failure this year.

First, I am going to simplify my life. By that, I mean de-clutter. I envy the women who have everything in there homes 'just so', and I believe that my problem is that I have too much stuff. I've already taken 2 huge bags to Goodwill last week, and plan to continue doing so all year. eBay is still one of my good friends and I continually list and sell things for a little more income. I have no grand illusions of a perfect home, just better.

Second, I am going to put my family on a budget. I have started using Mint.com (thanks for the suggestion Mike). I looked at it last year and was scared off by all the account numbers and passwords that you have to give the site. But, after a lot of research I took the plunge. I have a budget made (and I plan to tweak it as needed - I have to find out what works for us) and goals set up (it states that we should be contributing over $3,000 a month for college costs, which is impossible - but we can do what we can and hope for some good scholarships). It was a lot of work setting it up, but I think now it will be easy to maintain.

Third, I am going to run in the 5-mile Walleye Run. I believe Walleye Weekend is June 7-9 this year. I have always wanted to be a runner and have never done it. (Consistent pregnancy and toddlers will do that to you.) I was going to start training this morning, but a nice layer of sleet fell last night, so I will attempt it tomorrow. I am going to be using RunKeeper so I can track my progress and be ready. Anyone who wants to join us is more than welcome . . . KC is going to run it too :)

So back to packing up Christmas, and finally clean up my 2012  :)

I will try to do a little better with my blogging, but I cannot make any promises . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment