Monday, March 28, 2011

Just the Beginning of Spring Break and I'm Already Exhausted!

Spring Break has already been fun-filled and technically, it only started today :)

Started with free entertainment. Who knew that appliance delivery men could be entertaining, but the boys loved it. I had just set lunch in front of the boys, so the men had an audience . . . not planned, just a timing thing.
Before
The twins have never been so quiet during a meal. They watched their every move. And Cam, he couldn't stop asking questions.

"What are they doing" "What is that tool" "How are they going to get that out" "I know that's a screwdriver" "Wow, you guys are strong" "Oh, we get new ones" "He got water on the floor" "Mom, I think they are talking Spanish like Dora" "Uno, Dos, Tres" "Are you talking Spanish like Dora" "It doesn't fit" "Why is he under there"

It was constant and annoying and adorable all at the same time. I think all the questions may have hurried them a little, which was fine by me :)  :)  :)

It's always entertaining watching people try to be polite to children when they throw question after question at them. First, they answer politely, then the answers get shorter, and then they start to pretend not to hear them.

All in under an hour . . .
After
I now have 4 burners that work . . . we've been using 3 for a while and just this past week I was down to 2 and no oven :(  And the dishwasher should have really been replaced a year ago, but sometimes you just have to work with what you got.
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
We left shortly after the girls got home from school and didn't arrive in FDL until nearly midnight. That's an eight hour trip.

But along the way, we stopped at KC's work, went out to dinner with him, stopped at Risa & John's and played with a house full of kids waiting for KC to get done with work so we could carpool the rest of the way.

We hadn't been to FDL since Thanksgiving, the visit was long overdue.
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
On Saturday morning we went to visit Grandpa S's hydroponics lab at Moraine Park. The kids got to try a bunch of different leaves that tasted like: lemons, licorice, and mint. They each ate a cherry tomato and KC was tempted by a single hanging ghost pepper :)
Grandpa's got quite the garden growing in there. It makes me want to start up a greenhouse . . . maybe at the next house :)
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
Then the boys went down for a nap (including KC) and the girls, Grandma S and I headed to Oshkosh. We went to the "Art in the Garden" Fine Art Show & Sale that is put on by the Altrusa International Club of Oshkosh every year at the Hilton Garden Inn.

My mother has put pieces in the show for the last few years and sold there, this was our first chance going. We all loved the trip :)
We all got to vote for our favorite pieces

My favorites were by, of course, My Sassy Glass . . . being family, she got our vote, but she deserved it with a beautiful wire-wrapped necklace she created :)
Mom, you need to do more wire-wrapped and beaded pieces . . . they are beautiful!

Also getting my vote, "What a Relief", by Randy Detjen from Two Rivers, WI. He made his artwork from drywall compound on drywall. Who knew someone could make drywall compound so beautiful.
This is an example of his work, not the piece in the competition. I think I'm going to have to try out this technique :) I need a studio . . . again, in my next house.

And "Wildlife Drawings" by Paul Dominguezhe was an artist that used colored pencils on wood.
Again, example of his work, not the competition piece. Simple supplies, beautiful results! This guy was full of personality and more importantly to me, inspired my Zoe to do a piece for the school talent show. Her school has an art gallery, for the kids with talent, other then performing in front of a crowd. She is working on her rough-sketch now.
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
Then we had KC's fave chicken and dumpling soup for dinner and then went to my parent's for a visit where KC ate his second dinner, another fave, Eaton's Pizza :)

We visited while Emmitt showed off his walking skills, Castiel showed off his climbing skills & Cameron, well, he just showed off :)

Grandpa B cut Zoe some boards so she could test her colored pencil on wood skills. There's enough for Audrey to try too, if she wants. Which I'm sure she will :)
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
Sunday morning I made a quick trip to the store and decided to drive down Main Street to check out changes in my home town. Biggest disappointment was "Arbuckles" a bar that we used to hang out at had changed to "Ziggy's" . . . which, to me,  just seemed wrong!

And then I got lost. A town that I used to know inside and out . . . I couldn't find my way back to the in-laws house. I always recognized where I was, but in the big picture, I couldn't figure out where I was. So I had to backtrack, I guess 7 years of not visiting often has confused me . . . but anyone that knows me, knows I'm not so good with directions.
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
Then, the whole reason we made the trip to my hometown. A 35th birthday party at the
The rollerskating rink that we used to go to . . . long ago. The funniest thing about going back is that I don't think it's changed a bit, LOL. Same carpeting, same sinks outside the bathroom, same lockers, same giant dice . . . even the same brown & orange skates. Same everything.

My high school friend had invited a bunch girls and their daughters :) Great idea! My girl's loved it, first time skaters. So that meant me skating with them both clinging to an arm. I think in a weird way, we all held each other up. I was just thankful not to take a spill.

Why is it that high school friends never seem to age. Maybe we all are aging at the same rate, so we don't notice it. But these girls all looked very much the same as they did in high school . . . we just all had our own kids around our ankles this time. Our own little mini-me's. Trust me, there is no way we looked like 35 year olds skating with our kids. . . or did we???

It was great to see all you girls & catch up a little :) Thank you Jackie, we had a blast. The girls are already planning their next trip back . . . we'll let you know if you want to give it another go-around :)
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
Then back to Risa & John's to drop off daddy, eat dinner and run off some energy.

Back home at 9pm, everyone exhausted. Van unpacked, pj's on all 5 kids & everyone was in bed sleeping by 9:30 . . . including me :)

Now . . . real Spring Break begins . . . I wish the weather would warm up for us, just a little . . . please?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment