Saturday, June 18, 2011

To The Top of Pike's Peak!

There isn't a bad view in Colorado Springs, this place is beautiful.

I find the mountains truly amazing, especially since I am used to the flat lands of Illinois.

We have driven around in awe of the landscape, driving until we get lost and then we turn on the GPS to get back.

We heard from a number of people that the Cog Railway up to Pike's Peak was the best views they've ever seen, so we decided to wake up early this morning and check it out.
I took lots of pictures for my father. I knew that he would want to see the train engine. I think the majority of our family vacations growing up involved riding on a train or at least seeing an old train engine. I wish you could have made the trip up with us Dad :) If you ever make it out to Colorado, this should definitely be on your list of things to do.

This is the old train engine. The railway was built originally by a man from Wisconsin, because he believed everyone should be able to see America from that view. It was completed in 1891.

This is the train engine that we took up.

We were slightly winded at 14,110 feet, and it was COLD! I think I heard someone say 36 degrees and the ride started in the 80's.

The ride up was gorgeous and the tour guide was amazing! Very entertaining and informative.

It was amazing view ...

 ... after amazing view ...

 ... after amazing view ...

 ... after amazing view!!! Oh, and I have so many more photos!!!

This is a Brittlecone Pine tree, thought to be about 2,000 years old.

 We stopped and pulled over so another train could come down.

This is at the top!

Clouds above and below us :)

On a good day, 5 states can be seen. It was pretty cloudy, but I could see plenty to make me happy.
It is an image that I will always remember.

This trip has opened my eyes to the amazing things that we can see in America. We have always gone to international destinations, but beauty is in driving distance.

I hope to bring the kids back here some day.

No comments:

Post a Comment