Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Four Day Weekend With the Kids

It actually felt like a six day weekend.

KC left for his annual ice fishing weekend with the guys on Thursday. It makes the days longer for me, but the kids were great and we kept really busy.

Glad the boys had fun, but I'm also glad it's only once a year.

It's great for KC to spend time with his dad, which I know he enjoys. I enjoy the fact that in about 10 years (maybe less) all four of the boys will make the trip, leaving me and the girls for a quiet weekend!

Is it bad that I'm looking down the road 10 years already?

•     •     •     •     •     •     •     •     •     •     •     •     •     •     •     •     •     •     •     •     •

The twins were evaluated for a headstart program at the elementary school. They were both accepted based on being premature and under 5 pounds at birth. Having them tested gave me some relief that they are doing great.

It's hard for me to judge them, because comparing them is like comparing apples and oranges. They do everything a little differently . . . one better than the other, one faster than the other, one clearer than the other . . . but to know that they are both on the right track is comforting.

And both the boys are sooooo excited about going to "school". I love it! To have their own school to go to is very exciting to them, especially when they see their big sisters and brother going.

Their first class with other children is tomorrow. Fingers crossed all goes well.

Side note: Castiel suddenly is favoring his left hand. I am left-handed, so is my father and father-in-law, and none of my children seemed to be carrying on that trait. Then out of nowhere, Castiel is throwing a ball left-handed, and well . . . I may just have one afterall. We shall see.

We kinda laid low over the four day weekend. A couple of playdates, library, field hockey, and a shopping trip to Menard's which I'm sure looked like a mini field trip to others.

The twins are now at a point where they are wanting to walk.

Now this task is difficult with one, I know because I've been through that 3 times. And I knew it was coming, I just shoved them into the cart as long as I possibly could.

Emmitt started walking next to the cart about a month ago on a regular basis. He does well, but if he sees something "shiny" or whatever, his ears turn off and he no longer hears me saying, "hand on the cart". Luckily, Castiel had no interest and I gladly put him in the cart.

This weekend was the first time they both insisted on being free. Slight panic, but they have to practice to learn.

My rules are simple. Keep a hand on the cart or you're going back in. The first few minutes were sketchy. It was a lot of me putting their hands back on the cart and explaining the rules.

I was proud of how well they did, and proud of me for leaving with all four of my children. (Zoe was at field hockey practice :)  )

•     •     •     •     •     •     •     •     •     •     •     •     •     •     •     •     •     •     •     •     •

Kids pulled out Disney Bingo to play with the boys. I thought they were crazy, but the boys shocked me and played a few games and even made it through a black out board.

I'm guessing we got this game from Aunt Bobbie. It's a DVD that plays short movie clips and all the squares have Disney characters on them, I think that's what kept the boys interested. Castiel actually cried a couple of times, when he didn't have some of his favorite characters on his card.

I love when they start playing games. Let the games begin!

•     •     •     •     •     •     •     •     •     •     •     •     •     •     •     •     •     •     •     •     •

(blog will be continued shortly . . . Zoe baking again .........)

No comments:

Post a Comment