Saturday, February 19, 2011

Our Solution to No Hot Dogs on Mac & Cheese Night

The kids asked for Mac and Cheese with Hot Dogs. I said yes, and started the noodles. Then I realized we were out of hotdogs, which is rare for this house. I usually stock up on them because it's one of the only foods I can guarantee all the kids will eat.

And to my kids, Mac and Cheese can't be eaten without hotdogs.

So with Audrey's help, we improvised. She also likes to help in the kitchen :) Zoe had to be kicked out, it wasn't a big enough job for two. And the two of them don't always "play well together" these days, it always seems to be a competition. So this was Audrey's turn.

She carefully cut the string cheese into strips . . . I don't know how many times I said "Careful that knife is very sharp".
We set out the five plates for her to evenly divide her creation :)
Salami wrapped around String Cheese :) Kid-friendly, easy and fast!
I know that this one isn't going to make any cookbooks, but it served it's purpose . . . no complaints about the missing hotdogs, because there was something new and interesting on their plates :)

I haven't cooked any big new meals yet this month. But we have enjoyed one of our favorites. Corned Beef Brisket in the slow cooker with a can of Guiness and carrots, onion and red potatoes. Cabbage placed on top for the last couple of hours.

I also added Sweet Potato Chips to one of our meals. My kids love sweet potatos. Zoe actually made to mixture that she spread onto the potatoes with a brush. What's better than painting on the ingredients. The kids loved it, so did I.

The link if you are interested.
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Cinnamon-Sweet-Potato-Chips/Detail.aspx

I have to look at the recipes I've received. The kids have off this Monday and Tuesday, so maybe we can enjoy a new meal together on Tuesday.

1 comment:

  1. She looks so grown up cutting the cheese! So glad everything turned out safely, too. Glad she could save the day!

    ReplyDelete