Thursday, January 6, 2011

I Think I Can, I Think I Can, I Hope I Can

My first meal attempt.

This isn't really my first big meal. I have tried before.

In the past, I have totally gone overboard, became overwhelmed and failed. But even I have had some successes, but failed to continue to try. I have always wanted to love cooking. I just don't feel that I know enough about cooking or food to enjoy it, so it always feels like it takes so much effort. I would love to take a cooking class. Maybe that's something that I will try out this year.

I believe that the more you do something, the more comfortable you get. That is what I am attempting to do. Make myself comfortable in the kitchen. I'll be honest. Most nights I plan, make and serve dinner all within a half hour. I know that a good meal takes more planning than that. I have to set aside the time to make more of an effort.

Also, the fact that I have five kids to please is discouraging. Also my husband :) I don't know if I've ever made a meal that all of them "loved", besides the boring basics like Mac and Cheese with hot dogs. I've gotten them all to eat a meal, but the differences in taste buds are working against me.

I refuse to be a short order cook. 

My least picky eater is Emmitt. Most anything I put infront of him, he eats. LOL, past blog. The only thing he won't eat is buttered noodles, which all the other kids love. And again, boring! Castiel is super picky. I never know if he will eat something or throw it all over my floor. He prefers a liquid diet, juice and milk. Cameron has issues with too much on his plate. I think he gets overwhelmed. Casseroles look scary to him. Audrey hates any red sauce and tuna and will only eat take-out pizza. Zoe will eat just about everything, if she can smother it in hot sauce.

Even when I've made a meal that I'm proud of. K.C.'s plate is empty in two minutes. He eats so fast, I can't believe that he's even tasted it. Which in a way, is as insulting as refusing to eat it. In my head, all I am thinking is "I just spent two hours on that".

So along with the new meals. I think I have to come up with better dinner etiquette for my family to live by. It's not like they are a bunch of monsters at the dinner table, but I can feel that things are starting to get out of control. And with five children, keeping things in control is everything. So I think there might be some new changes to our dinner routine besides my cooking.

So, I have bacon, ground beef and chicken breasts in my freezer and I'm going grocery shopping on Saturday. If you have any suggestions of what I can do with them, send them my way. Please don't send me anything overwhelming to start with. Think basic and delicious. Maybe something that your family loves. I will be looking for something too. First meal is planned for Sunday night.

Wish me luck, I'll need it :)

I would like to think I'm not the only mom with these issues. So I promise to share the recipes and let you know if how many of them ate it.

2 comments:

  1. What about something as easy as sloppy joes? I make mine with ground turkey, chopped onion(really fine chopped) and ketchup. I also add a small baby food jar of sweet potatoes or squash. They never taste it and it is added nutrition. You could always make 2 batches and freeze the other one for a few weeks from now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to cook, and YES, please 5 young palettes is no easy feat!

    I keep it pretty simple: meat, veggie, starch. AND, yes, everyone has to "try" everything every time I serve it, even if they didn't like it before.

    I once heard that it takes trying something 7 or 8 times before we begin to "like" it. I used to hate salad, but now I like it... so I think it's true.

    The exception to my veggie rule is if it's going to make them puke. LOL. Then it's a non-issue! Each kid gets a one-veggie free pass. Nathalie loves asparagus but HATES peas. She doesn't have to eat them on the nights I serve them, and the boys get their free nights too. Eric can't stand spinach :oP

    ReplyDelete