Saturday, January 8, 2011

K.C. Gave It 4 Stars!!!

First of all, I had to use K.C.'s name in the title, because he told me I didn't have his permission to use his name in my blog. I'm showing K.C. that I will be using his name in my blog :)


Going to the grocery store inspired me to make a new meal tonight and tomorrow. At least that's the plan. I accomplished tonight's meal and it wasn't painful at all.


Dinner was a success, I think. Well, we decided that it was too messy for the twins, they wouldn't really be able to pick it up well with their fingers. And Cameron didn't get a nap today and fell asleep just before dinner, so he didn't eat, but I knew he wouldn't. So I don't consider it a failure with him, just bad planning.


Girls loved it. Zoe gave it 4 1/2 stars! Audrey gave it 4 stars! And I give myself 3 3/4 stars. I told them that anything over 3 stars means they want me to make it again.


There are definitely a few things that I would change next time I make it. This meal is 5 star worthy, I'll just tweak it next time.


Recipe found on www.campbellskitchen.com 



Beef Taco Bake
Ground beef, spicy tomato sauce, tortillas and cheese are layered and baked for a hearty one-dish meal.



Instructions
  1. Cook the beef in a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat until well browned, stirring often.  Pour off any fat.
  2. Stir the soup, salsa, milk, tortillas and half the cheese in the skillet.  Spoon the beef mixture into a 2-quart shallow baking dish.  Cover the baking dish.
  3. Bake at 400°F. for 30 minutes or until the beef mixture is hot and bubbling.  Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
At a Glance
Prep: 10 minutes
Bake: 30 minutes.


Ingredients:


1 pound ground beef
1 can (10 3/4 ounces) Campbell's® Condensed Tomato Soup
1 cup Pace® Chunky Salsa or Pace® Picante Sauce
1/2 cup milk
6 flour tortillas (8-inch) or 8 corn tortillas (6-inch), cut into 1-inch pieces
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (about 4 ounces)



Cooking went smoothly. I didn't burn anything, forget any ingredients and no one cried when dinner was placed in front of them. So already, I could pat myself on the back before a bite was taken.


Zoe helped cut up the tortillas and black olives, she loves to help in the kitchen and I love the help. K.C. made "Jiffy" Corn Bread muffins to go along with the meal. He was just checking on me, making sure that things weren't going wrong, no trust in my cooking skills, not that I blame him. Not everyone can have a chef as a father.


We made some changes to the recipe. We choose to add Mexican Style Corn to the meat mixture. K.C.'s idea, I give him full credit. It was definitely a good add. We also set the table like we would for taco night. Bowls of black olives, tomatoes, cheese and sour cream, taco sauce and salsa. This made it more kid-friendly, because everyone was able to top their plate however they wanted.


Next time I make this meal, I will add taco seasoning to the meat and maybe some onions too. Needed more flavoring in my opinion.


Overall I consider the meal a success.


My plan isn't to just make 24 new meals and make everything else from a box as normal. I plan on adding all the successes to my regular meal nights. I am now +1 meal for the year  :)




K.C. also asked for credit for the plate presentation. He added the sour cream and tortillas on top, kinda cheesy if you ask me :)


Hoping that it goes this well tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment