Tuesday, May 17, 2011

She's Growing Up.

I've been having a debate with my 10 year old for about a year now.

It started in the Spring of last year.

She wanted to shave her legs.

I wanted her to stay my little girl  :(

I wasn't ready for her to take that step last year. She accepted defeat well and continued to be that little girl, even if it was for one last summer.

It started up again a few weeks ago, as the weather started to warm up.

She got me to cave. I agreed that when summer started, she could start shaving.

She is cursed by dark hair, as am I. I remember wanting to shave my legs before my mother let me. I started in 5th grade and I remember being embarrassed before that.

Then I noticed that she was only wearing her long dresses, otherwise she was wearing fun pattern tights to hide her legs. She was wearing capris instead of shorts.

I realized something.

I don't want my little girl to be embarrassed by her body. I don't want her hiding. I feel that it's important that she feels comfortable in her own skin.

So last night I plugged in the electric razor.

And tonight, my baby, shaved her legs for the first time.

Tears ... because I know this is only the beginning of a lot more "big girl" things.

I want her to know that I am here to talk to and that I am willing to listen to her. That I will be open to the "new things" in her life.

As her mother, I just want her to be happy . . . always.

This may sound silly, but with her being my oldest . . . this was a very big step for me.

But it was worth it to see the smile on her face :)

1 comment:

  1. Michelle MoerchenMay 18, 2011 at 9:30 AM

    Good job to you!
    Your blog made tear up as I remember similar times.
    Katrina graduates in a few short weeks :(
    Believe them when they say it will go fast!

    ReplyDelete