Sunday, January 8, 2012

A Little Bit of Grandma Audrey in My Audrey :)

A new house for me means a lot of painting and shopping for new decor.

This time it's different for me. Since we are renting, I'm living with the sponge-painted walls, the flower tiles, the green counter tops, the vinyl flooring and (worst of all) the shiny gold light fixtures.

The last time we bought a house, I painted nearly every wall and ceiling in the house before we started moving our things in. (with LOTS of family help)

I'm feeling bad for my girls. They had their hearts set on neon walls.

In no way was I going to let them paint the entire room neon, but I thought that an accent wall could be fun.

Since painting isn't happening this time around, a project was in order to put some fun on their walls.

Today during the boys nap time, I started a Pinterest project with the girls :)

PINTEREST #2. Paint swatch hearts strung on their wall.

I'm most proud of the fact that they stuck with it and finished the entire project this afternoon. Even though by the end of the project, they had both poked their fingers with needles and band aids were needed.

They both made 3 strands. All on their own. All I had to do was teach and hang.

When we were hanging Audrey's side of the room, I noticed that she had only one heart hung upside-down. It was already on the wall and she looked disappointed.

I remembered something that I believe I heard from Aunt Bobbie, "Only God creates perfection." (It may have not been exactly that, but something close.) It was something that Great-Grandma Audrey used to say. She was an artist and crafter that always created with at least one imperfection.

I told Audrey that story and she smiled and looked at her upside down heart in a whole new way.

•     •     •     •     •     •     •     •     •     •     •     •     •     •     •     •

PINTEREST #3. I also made a meal from Pinterest. I made a Cheesy Chicken and Rice Bake. I didn't have a plan, so I typed "chicken" into Pinterest, and this recipe popped up on my screen that I knew my family would like and I had the ingredients in my kitchen.

Note to self: Pre-cook the chicken in taco seasoning next time.

And best of all, the leftovers can be used for breakfast burritos  :)

1 comment:

  1. Woke me up with a tear and a smile...yes, she always said that --- I remember hearing that message from her when I was a little girl...and it has stuck with me and given me a smile many times over the years. She said it is consistent in Native American art work--- if there is an 'oops' ....it was meant to be there ;)

    ReplyDelete