Monday, January 23, 2012

My 40 Week Plan

I wanted to share my plan for thoroughly cleaning my house this year.

I just have to say, that when we moved, we filled up a 26 foot U-Haul one and a half times, had a 16 foot Pack Rat, and a corner of my sister's basement.

I know I can do better than that. My goal is to fit into one 26 foot U-Haul in a year when we move again.

I've seen lots of ideas on the web. I researched and came up with my plan.

I've decided to create a 40 week plan.

If a baby can form in 40 weeks, I can clean my entire home in 40 weeks  : )

I'm not placing any order to the list. Just going to work on whatever I feel like for that week. I'm sure to have a month of the least-desirable left at the end of the year, but that's kind of how it always works out, right?


•     •     •     •     •     •     •     •     •     •     •     •     •     •     •


40 WEEK PLAN (in no particular order)

Kitchen
1. silverware, cooking utensils, glasses, water bottles, plates & bowls
2. storage containers, pans, pots, appliances, counter tops
3. towels, hot pads, cleaning products, spices, candy, pantry, liquor
4. cookbooks, magnets, decor, baby items, junk drawers

Dining Room
5. Top of curio and drawers
6. Bottom of curio and decor

Family Room
7. movies, cds, games, entertainment center
8. Decor and plants in entire home

Living Room
9. Orange chests, other storage boxes
10. Decor, picture frames

Closets
11. jackets, winter gear, shoes, umbrellas, all bills and paperwork

Master Bedroom
12. kc-shoes, tshirts, polos, dress clothes
13. kc-boxers, pjs, socks, jeans, shorts, bike clothes
14. mel-shoes, pants, top drawer, perfumes, bags & purses
15. mel-summer, sweater, dress clothes, pjs, bureau, jewelry

Master Bath
16. kc stuff, toiletries, cleaning supplies
17. mel stuff, decor, product

Bathrooms
18. towels, toiletries, beach items
19. hair ties, decor, bath toys, extra bedding

Laundry Room
20. cleaning supplies

Zoe's
21. hanging clothes, dresser clothes, shoes
22. decor, bedding, furniture, treasure box

Audrey's

23. hanging clothes, dresser clothes, shoes
24. decor, bedding, furniture, treasure box

Cameron's
25. hanging clothes, dresser clothes, shoes
26. decor, bedding, furniture, treasure box

Emmitt and Castiel's
27. hanging clothes, dresser clothes, shoes
28. decor, bedding, furniture, treasure box

Garage
28. garden tools, seeds, pots, chairs, camping gear
29. bikes and parts, outdoor toys, balls, tools

Toy Basement
30. boardgames, puzzles, books, art supplies
31. toys, stuffed animals, storage units

Basement
32. computers, books, extra furniture
33. Christmas holiday
34. All other holidays
35. KC and my memory boxes
36. Zoe's school papers 
37. Audrey's school papers
38. Cameron's school papers

Art Supplies
39 + 40 (and this is what I will be working on throughout the year too)

•     •     •     •     •     •     •     •     •     •     •     •     •     •     •

I am serious about going through every single thing.

I will ask myself (or whoever the item applies to) - - -Do I love this item? Do I really use this item? Can I live without this item? Do I really need this to form a memory or will a photograph work?

Everything will be given a home or packed away neatly and labeled.

If it makes the veto list I will decide if it's worth selling or if I should donate it. If I go about this right, it should be fun. And a relief! Gotta start somewhere . . .

I'll be starting this next week. I just had the Rat Pack dropped off and a hundred more boxes placed into the house. I'm working on getting all that going in the right direction this week.

I'll try and show the before and after of the week's accomplishments.

Time to C-L-E-A-N house!!!

I will also be making a Christmas list. I know, a little weird . . . . . but I always have a hard time coming up with anything, and I'll really have a clear picture of what's needed, when all the extras are gone  : )

1 comment:

  1. Good for you Melissa! De-cluttering is a magnificent gift we give to ourselves! With 6 kids, (or 5) it's hard to know what to keep, or let go of! Much more magnified by a move for sure!

    ReplyDelete