Saturday, April 2, 2011

Fighting Over Daddy's Attention

Spring Break is nearing it's end.

It's been a long one.

Today was daddy's day off. He has to work all weekend :(   . . . but we did have him last weekend so I guess I can't complain to much . . . but I am.

Him working retail is a real bummer. Usually his day off is broken up, because the girls are in school. The boys get him all to themselves during the day, especially important to Cam and the girls come home from school and get their time.

But because of Spring Break, all day was a free-for-all!

It was loud and crazy and I just kept thinking . . . he probably wound rather be at work. Cam fought all day long for his spot as "the center of attention", which I'm not sure he ever got. It's hard with so many siblings, but he did read daddy a book at bedtime. (video to share later)
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
The day started with KC playing with "Cam's" helicopter.

A few days ago, I got a text stating "Found Cam an Easter gift", which I assumed was a bicycle, since he is outgrowing his frame.

Nope, KC said "a helicopter" . . . which I replied immediately "you mean your Easter gift".

I have seen Cam try to drive a remote control car. Not pretty. So the thought of giving him a remote to something that flies? Come on, he's 3.

But by the time KC got home that night, he came to the same conclusion and announced "It's mine".

So I was saying . . . they were playing with KC's helicopter (and notice how it didn't make it til Easter) and KC was showing them how it worked.

Then he handed the controls over to Audrey and all I heard was "Power down, Power down!"
Yup that's a bottle of super glue :)
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
Friday was suppose to be the nicest day of the week. I planned on the park with a picnic. But it was cold and rainy all day.

KC and the girls played a game of Monopoly, Cam tried but didn't last long. KC eventually made them mortgage everything . . . he usually does.

Of course the nice day was moved back until tomorrow :(  I haven't tried the park with the twins yet this year. They are so mobile, it kinda scares me. But if it's nice enough tomorrow, I might just give it a try.
• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •
The hard part about KC's day off, is that I always have errands to run. I would like to spend the day with him . . . but I had the post office (lots sold on eBay) and a major grocery shopping trip.

And I can do it with the kids, but it is SO much easier and faster by myself.

And I enjoy the quiet time, sometimes, but sometimes, like today, I just wanted to be at home with the family.

In a weird way, I think that KC and I are getting used to our strange, long-distance, but not really long-distance relationship. Sadly, I think we are starting to communicate better by text and phone call then when we are in the same room :(

I feel myself competing for his attention, but when their are five kids in the room, that's sometimes a hard one to find a balance. Cam has started the "Ew, gross, no" every time we hug or kiss and Castiel screams if we are too close, because that's "his daddy" . . . fun times.

Maybe texts and phone calls work for us now because that's when I have him all to myself? I don't have to compete . . . I shouldn't be competing with my kids . . . but I am . . .

It's late and I can't sleep. Just feeling a little sad today . . . I need to sell this house . . . we need a new normal.

---and thanks to the concerns of me not posting a blog for a while, lol, I'll play "catch-up" this week, been busy! ---

1 comment:

  1. Hang in there Mel....that's kind of the way that I felt when Don was at his old job and I was a "single" parent for 4 months out of the year during busy season. I know, I only had 2 kids, but the feelings were the same. It won't be this way forever. You will sell the house eventually (I have walked in those shoes too). But, for right now, you are doing the best that you can. And everyone needs a sad day once and a awhile anyways:) Call me if you wanna chat next week.

    ReplyDelete